This site is part of the original grant of 200 acres made to Thomas Jones in 1859. It was at the time called Wyvernleigh and a homestead carrying the name was built by Mr Luthwaite at some time prior to 1862. The name was subsequently changed to Tingalpa House, Tingalpa being an aboriginal word mean "House of Fat". It is believed to be the first house in the Manly District.
In 1892 the Estate was subdivided and re-named Manly. In 1926 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane purchased this allotment for the church purposes and Mass was said in the old stone house on the property until 1927 when it was demolished to make way for a Parish Hall which was subsequently consecrated as a Church.
This wall was built from the stone of the original Wyvernleigh Homestead. It is therefore of significant historical interest and the plaque has been placed by the Wynnum Manly Historical Society Inc.
St John Vianney's Catholic Primary School was founded by the Presentation Sisters and opened on Australia Day 1941 by Archbishop Duhig.
Originally named St Philomina's, the school was located across the road from the present site, in the grounds of the Presentation Sisters' Convent.
The school moved to its present site in 1953. The development, extension and refurbishment of the school grounds and building have been ongoing. In recent years, enrolment numbers have plateaued at around 360. Our most recent building projects under the Federal Grants BER-P21 program. This has provided us with a new assembly hall, tuckshop and uniform shop, three additional classrooms, as well a spacious undercover area which flows on to our new oval.
Now completely lay staffed, the school has aimed to maintain its strong links with Presentation Sisters whose vision, tenacity and dedication established a much needed and successful school in the area. We have provided approximately 70 years of quality teaching and learning here at St John Vianney's Catholic Primary School, Manly.
In 2016, St John Vianney's Primary School celebrated the 75th Anniversary of the school's opening in 1941.
Some of the original students gathered for a chat and to share their stories about those early years. Click on the video player below to view.